Sunday, September 23, 2007

Watering System

With water restrictions here in Adelaide the only watering we are allowed to do is by hand with a watering can – as you can see from my plot layout this is a very time consuming job and a bit of work on my back and wrists. Luckily as at the 1st of the October we can water either on a Saturday or Sunday (depending on your house number) for up to 3 hours at specified times, with drip lines. So with great excitement this morning I decided to put my dripper system from my old garden back into my new vegie patch.

Well it took me hours to separate all the old clamps, joiners, ag pipe and dripper hose. I relayed it out and joined it up and it only does about half of the vegie beds. Off to the shop to get more to do the rest. A friend came around and I put her to work as well. I’ve done about quarter of it, I’m still thinking about the best way to handle all my fruit trees in pots, but I did find this nifty little device at my local bunnings

You fill the stem with soil or sand and then stake it into the soil and up end a bottle (2 liter seems to be the biggest that will fit) full of water into it. It slowly leaks into the soil, watering the plants. I think the theory behind them is for use for when your on holidays but unless you have some one coming into fill them up every couple of days I dno’t think they would work because they drain in about 1 hour or less. However it is quicker to fill them up and plonk them in if you do have some one watering your garden while your away. Also It’s a lot eaiser on my wrists than the watering can until I come up with how to attach them to the dripper system.
I will upload some pictures of the layout of the dripper system when I finish put it all together but before I bury it under the mulch layer. Stay Tuned!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those little green things from Bunnings are a fantastic idea. I used a 1.5 litre drink bottle to do the exact same thing. Cut the end off the drink bottle and put 3 of them in each pot. I then just top up the bottles when needed!