Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Newspaper Pots

In anticipation of my seeds (mentioned in post "The Beginning" I have been thinking about how to plant all of them - I have already used up pretty much every container, seedling tray and anything else suitable I have laying around. I figured there must be a easy cheap way to do it, so surfing the net I went. I came across the following web site:

http://www.geocities.com/newspaperpots/

Newspaper pots - what a great idea - easy, recycling so that's good and it cost me nothing but time. So I've been making lots of them in anticipation. Whats really good about them is when the plant is big enough then no fiddling around getting the plant out of the seedling tray in one piece just plonk the whole thing in the ground and the paper breaks down and the plant is on its way. Less stress on the plant so in theory this should yield a higher success rate.

Some things I did think of however were:
1. You will need to be careful not to over water because this will cause the paper to breakdown prematurely.
2. With seeds that may take a while to take off it may be worth while doubling up buy making up the pot out of 2 sheets or placing one pot inside another.

I think the second option may be better because the double sheeted may be to thick to breakdown quick enough where as the pot inside a pot, the outside pot can be removed when its time for planting if need be.

First thing this morning as I'm sending the munchkins off to school the posty arrives with my package - so I know what I'm doing over the next few days. For a list of what I'm growing this spring/summer see my post labelled Spring/Summer 2007. There is a list there of all the vegetables I'm planting and as the season goes on I will rate the success of these.

No comments: