Saturday, September 15, 2007

Growing Pineapples

A friend and I were mucking around on the net looking at garden information and we came across how to grow pineapples at home from the top of store bought ones so we thought we'd give it a go - It's now a competition to see who grows the best one - I will post here with the information I find and the progress we make.

Sunday 16th September
Ok Time for research - I have brought the pinapples - not as easy as you think - 3 stores before we found one that didn't chop the tops off the fruit - now to find out how to go about doing this. One of my favourite sites Tropical Permiculture has some great pages on pineapple growing -
http://www.growing-tropical-permaculture.com/growing-pineapples.html#growing-pineapples-overview

and here is another site

http://wierdling.longboys.net/images/pineapples/pineapples.html

They both have instructions on how to grow from the tops of pineapples but one has you soaking in water one does not - What to do what to do - Try both of course!


19 Sept 2007

I have eaten 2 of my pineapples now and have them soaking in a glass - they went in on sunday the 16 Sept - check out the picies - for some reason the smaller one of the two has started turning brown - oh well I will keep going and see what happens.
This is the larger one
This is the smaller one

3 comments:

Pastor David Horner said...

Great fun growing Pineapples. I have been able to start several. I simple placed them just as they came from the top of the pineapple, into a planter box where I was growing Swiss chard. I guess the chard gave them shelter from the direct sun. I plan on trans-planting them into pots later. David

Unknown said...

I am trying to grow my own pineapple. what happend after you soaked it in the glass of water?

Do you have any more photos of your progress? Anthony

Pastor David Horner said...

Well I have transplanted three pineapple plants into pots and they are growing like wild fire. I now have them in full sun, they seem to like that. I am giving a go to starting one in a glass of water. Had it for two weeks so far, no roots yet.